james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My friend has been falsely accused of assault by her ex

HI, my friend has been falsely accused of assault by her ex partner, who has got three of his friends to lie and support his allegation. The police passed the case to the cps. shortly afterwards the ex partner contacted the officer in charge to say that he and his friends would now not be giving any evidence and wanted to withdraw theirs statements. however, the cps moved forward and my friend has been charged and requested to appear in court tomorrow. Her solicitor contacted her today to say she doesnt need to go tomorrow now as its being adjourned and he will go for her. But he didnt explain what this means.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: england. oxford she is currently pursuing a nonmoletation order against him and the cps are moving forward with an assault case against him (with wiling witness) and also him threatening to kill her (voice reording he sent to me).
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: in the case tomorrow?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the ex is a known criminal and drug user. social services deem him a threat to the children. he has openly admited he made the assault allegation to get the kids.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
thanks.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Its really just asking why the magistrate or prosecution would adjourn it?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
hello?

sorry for delay this is an email system so some delays.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ah ok

The adjournment could be for a number of reasons.

Often court over list cases and then need to remove some. Trails are often double booked incase someone pleads guilty as the last minute or a case id discontinued. It could also be possible the CPS has asked to adjourn because they may not be ready, or need time to reconsider the case.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ok. So its possible its nothing, or it could be that the cps have become aware of the other cases against her ex and are reconsidering or seeking more informtion?

That is also possible. If there is another case ongoing, they may seek an adjournment until the other case has been dealt with.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ok thank you. hopefully she can at least sleep tonight.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.