Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Does my employer have the right to ask the police if they

Does my employer have the right to ask the police if they have any information on me and are the police allowed to give it without consulting me at all?
JA: Have they discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I am currently off sick with work related stress as I was being bullied at work, I am in the prison serviceto lost my warrant Sorry let me write that again
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: I am currently off sick from the prison service from work related stress. Whilst being off I attended hospital with a stomach problem and dropped my wallet which has my warrant card in, a police officer was on site that day and found it and called the prison to verify I am an employee there as there are a lot of fake warrant cards being sold. After this my manager then emailed the police to ask if they had any further information on me in which the police have shared a report on me which is not anything related to work nor does it involve a arrest or criminal activity
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That’s it in summary
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The police report they have shared is as follows
I was out walking drunk, I fell and injured myself and was treated by paramedics and decided to leave their care. They called the police to find me, they found me walking home and advised I go to hospital to get treated which I did, there was no arrest or criminal activity, I wasn’t even contacted by the police again after

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

No, your employer should not be asking.

Its nothing to do with them what the Police have.

The Police should not share anything about you - they need your permission.

If this has been done you can complain to the Information Commissioner Office.

They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint at:

www.ico.org.uk

That should resolve it for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
this is legally ? They can’t legally ask them? At the end of the day my drunken behaviour is not my employers business provided I haven’t been arrested am I right?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
As I am off with mental health I feel like they are just tying to get information about me to build some sort of case, unfortunately the prison service do not look after their employees very well

They can ask, but they can't give it.

Does that clarify?