How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2666
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Does I imgaration officer have the right to detain my

This answer was rated:

Does I imgaration officer have the right to detain my boyfriend as he gave him 100 pounds for something and now hes been held till Christmas
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Brechin Hes in Edinburgh airport
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I havent done anything
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Know its fine

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can you please explain in more detail what happened?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My boyfriend has been detained because the imgration officer gave him 100 pounds for something and now hes being detained till Christmas
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What can I do

are you saying the officer gave your boyfriend £100 or your boyfriend gave the officer £100

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Now there detained him till Christmas

Yes, but who gave the money to whom?

james bruce and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.

From what little information you have supplied, it appears that one party or the other may have either been taking or receiving a possible illegal payment, if that is correct, then yes they can be detained by the authorities to be investigated.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I've contacted police as advised there investigating it

Then at this stage that is all you can do and just wait for any outcome.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What I'm I meant to do just sit

Exactly that, there is nothing else you can do. If he is detained for either offering or taking a bribe or payment then he will be investigated if guilty and convicted and not a British citizen could be deported.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I've found out it was a scam thsts why I was block because I didnt give 100 pounds

ok, that good you did not give your money to the scam.

Take care.