SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

Can a British citizen living abroad apply for help 're

Can a British citizen living abroad apply for help 're benefits when moving here
JA: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the UK government?
Customer: Not at present Will be filing papers soon coming with 11 yr old son ,
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: N9t at present your advise would be very welcome
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm not quiet sure 100% at present what is happening as My granddaughter has asked me to try and find out what she has to do

Hi, I'm Lea

The rules on what one can claim can be quite complicated, but effectively it all depends on whether or not the claimant will be habitually resident in the UK or not from the day they arrive, or whether there is a waiting time period - certain benefits can be claimed immediately, others have a waiting period.

Your granddaughter can find out more here, and can use the online calculator to work out what she may be entitled to: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Right-to-Reside/Returning-British-Citizen

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is: 0808(###) ###-####/li>
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your advice I will pass on your advice
Will contact you if further information required
Really appreciate
Jean H

You're very welcome.

All the best, ***** ***** you for using JA.