Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I currently have a claim against my employer for an injury

Hi, I currently have a claim against my employer for an injury which has been ongoing for a number of years. Various reports have been made and the latest is an expert going out to my work place to assess the job I done at the time. I was told that I may be responsible for half of the cost. To this I replied saying that if I’m going to be paying half the money I’m going to need to know the cost in advance to see if I can actually afford it or not. I heard nothing about a cost, just that the date had been set up so I assumed the defendant was instructing the expert alone. Now 5 weeks after the appointment I have been sent a bill for over £2500. Money of which I don’t have and would never have agreed to had I been told the cost beforehand and I’m being told I must pay it. Is this true when I told them months ago that I needed to know the cost 1st so I could see if I could actually pay it
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: in regards ***** *****?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have had a medical report done privately which I paid over £1000 for and I have paid the court fees. As for this unexpected bill I have told my solicitor that I never agreed to pay half because I requested notice of the cost months ago and was never given it

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Unless there is a term within the contract between you and your solicitor, which stops you from having a say on the disbursements incurred in this manner, then i suggest you contest the 50% they seek from you. This is because the fee should be something you had to agree too before the expert is instructed given you will be personally liable for it.

Do you understand what i have stated so far? if yes i will proceed to the next step.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Yea I understand so far and as far as I’m aware I have the say in the disbursements I never signed over the power to my solicitor

In that case i suggest you remind them of the time you requested info about the costs and your absence of any agreement to proceed with the proposed expert. If you have any evidence such as emails, text, etc, please send it to them. Hopefully when they see that they overstepped the mark they will cease from pursuing you for the fee.

I hope i have clarified the position, if not please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I understand. Thank you very much