Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I am the secretary of the Society of Bookbinders which is

I am the secretary of the Society of Bookbinders which is regretfully in the middle of a dispute about procedures. A member has sent round an email to lots of other members alleging that the current honorary officers (chairman, secretary and treasurer) have been "less than economical with the truth". It is my understanding that this is widely interpreted as a euphemism for lying, an allegation I entirely refute. What are my options for dealing with this?
JA: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: Ah - is this a USA facility? I am in the UK
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: No, I've just received the email
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I’ll wait thanks

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years experience.

I'm sorry to read of the above. May I clarify, in terms of what you refer to in respect of options available to you, do you ask in relation to what options are available to you personally or what options are available to you through your office in the society please?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
To me personally
  1. thank you. May I ask if you have a profession outside of the society and whether what has been circulated about you may damage your reputation and therefore business potentially?
  2. have specific allegations being made as regards ***** ***** have allegedly been untruthful about or was the comment made only in general terms?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
1. Yes, I work as a consultant in wood protection. I don't think what has been circulated would damage my professional reputation but I can't be sure.
2. I'm sending you a copy of the document containing the allegations.

Thank you. I note they say you have been "less than economical with the truth" when I assume they meant to say you have been economic with the truth as you say. To be less than economic with the truth logically is to be truthful. Semantics but potentially important if you were contemplating libel.

Objectively is there any basis to what they say at all? i.e. is there any argument as to what they refer to or is it entirely without merit?

Joshua, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice