How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1684
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

My partners ex won't collect her possessions as she's making

This answer was rated:

My partners ex won't collect her possessions as she's making a claim on him for using them. He asked her two months ago to take them, and they are currently wrapped up and outside waiting for her to collect. Can she really make a claim given she can collect her items at any time?
JA: Where is your partner's ex? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England, Coventry
JA: What steps has your partner's ex taken so far?
Customer: He's emailed her several times to collect, starting in September. His father was storing her possessions and she has collected them but won't collect the white goods as wants to claim on the deterioration of them being outside since October, even though she's had ample opportunity to collect them.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just want to understand his legal rights

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you.

Hi there,

You need to send your Ex a notice under section 12 of TORTS (Interference with goods) Act 1977, giving her reasonable time to collect them, and further mention if these belongings were not collected , then you will be disposing them off.

Under the TORTS (Interference with goods) Act 1977, it is your responsibility to protect the belongings of your Ex left at the property. You can charge a cost for storing them as well.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Is notice a formal letter? As we don't know where she lives or just an email? As an email was sent asking her to pick up on several occasions. The goods are packed up safely to protect from weather and stored by the side of his house.

It has to be a notice under the section 12 TORTS (Interference with goods) Act 1977.

Please click below for the template of the notice.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Is this form ok to se given she wasn't technically a tenant?

You are a bailee and your Ex is bailor here.

You have to change the template accordingly.

template is sent to assist you with the content of the notice.

Vineet S and other Law Specialists are ready to help you