Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I have bit of domestic issue at home,I am renting a flat

Good morning,I have bit of domestic issue at home,I am renting a flat with Entwistle green lettings for over 3 years. In the past there were several issues with the flat such as not working toilet basins and broke washing maschine and broke oven (they all are a bit dated and needed replacement/repair). Unfortunately only 7-8 months after they replaced the oven it broke again. I have reported the issue nearly 5 months ago,and even with pandemic all repair services are still operating (even my neighbors had their fridge fixed yesterday). I sent multiple emails,I was in person in their office and spoke with multiple people there. Nothing is happening. Am I in my right to stop paying rent or stop some of the rent money and but new oven? 5 months cooking only on stove is first not healthy,second time consuming and third more expensive. Today I have submitted another email to tnem,receiving only automated response that die to covid I might have to wait for their response. Please,give me some advice what are my rights and even the pandemic is happening,that is no longer good enough excuse for me. Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Southport , Merseyside UK under Sefton council
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: reported the problem on the same day it happened in June,sent additional emails requesting any answers if there is any progress on my issue, have been in their office and spoke with their letting agent and last month sent him email again to which he responded that he forwarded my issue to the main office
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am paying every mont for over 3 year in time,we had recently amid pandemic inspection from entwistle to check if conditions in the flat are good amd the agent said they are in exceptional condition and I have no problems with paying bills and council taxes thats all

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but i will respond within 24 hours.

Please can you confirm the length of your tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It was 1 year when I rented it amd after the year passed it is automatically renewing. No end terms stated

The Law imposes a repairing obligation on the landlord. Further the law also states that the landlord must ensure the property is fit for human habitation. Therefore when this law is breached the tenant can seek a rent deduction which will be based on a percentage of the monthly rental value.

In view of the law and the circumstances it appears the landlord/estate agents have breached the law and therefore i recommend you should report the matter to your local council as they can force the landlord/estate agent to carry out the necessary repairs and also they may fine them too. Further i recommend you write to the estate agents of your intend to withhold rent until the issues are fixed and also notify them you will report them to the local council. This tactic will likely force the estate agent to take proactive steps to resolve the issue ASAP.

I hope i have clarified the position, if not please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you very much, I apologize for all the typo mistakes as I am texting from phone and I am a bit upset with all that. I will keep you updated. Kind regards, ***** ***** Georgieva

Your welcome and hopefully things get resolved ASAP.

Have a good day.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello again Anthony, you helped tremendously. I have sent an email to the letting agents and literally 22 min later I have this response:
Hi Zhana,I hope that you are well,Apologies for our delay in responding to you.Your landlord has informed us that the cooker has a 5 year warranty, Please can you kindly contact Curry’s directly to arrange for an engineer to attend.Details below:Order number: CURRYS order (CUR1964751595)Make & Model: LOGIK - LDOC60X17 60 cm Electric Cooker – Inox / Product code 197975Warranty Reference: 5 Years for LOGIK - LDOC60X17 60 cm Electric Cooker - Inox (Ref : 494400UOS3) / Product code 206845Purchase Date: 13.8.2019Kind regards,
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I am still considering that as quite insulting as apparently for just 20min they can't ring landlord and discuss all details,so they definitely had this information for a while. I believe I still can be compensated for the discomfort caused by their delay. Am I in my right to ask for any compensation at all?

Given the length of time you have been and still residing in the property with this defect i suggest you request a degree of rent deduction.

Further i suggest you notify the landlord to contact curry's because i suspect curry's may not want to speak to you given you did not purchase the cooker.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We already rang and we have appointment booked for next tuesday,they were ok with the data we provided. Thank you again

Your welcome and hopefully things get sorted ASAP.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Good afternoon Zhana,Many thanks for your email and I understand your distress ! Hopefully this is now resolved asap for you.Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you. The information had been provided by your landlord, however, had been overlooked by us – please accept our apologies for this. Throughout the last few months, during these unprecedented times, Urgent repairs (such as boiler breakdowns and leaks) have been taking priority and I can only apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused you.If you have any further queries, Please don’t hesitate to contact me.Kind regards
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
completely avoided my asking for rent deductions. Anyway,at least we prooved a point and I hope
in future if I have issues with them again I have enough evidence in writing that I am paying for being overlooked
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
One more time,thank you for your help and I am finalising the conversation with Entwistle green. Take care and stay safe!

You can put the question to them again given it was avoided.

That said have a good night and stay safe.