How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 27880
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

My health and finances are in the hands of my power of

This answer was rated:

My health and finances are in the hands of my power of attorneys who are also my beneficiaries - I may need to go into a care home - do I declare the property in Jamaica or are they now the property of the beneficiares. I have not lived there since 1999 but it is rented out.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years experience.

  1. May I confirm if you live in the UK or Jamaica please?
  2. Have you appointed attorneys in the UK using a Lasting Power of Attorney?
  3. Have you made any separate appointment of attorneys in Jamaica?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I live in the uk and my attorneys are my children who live in the uk with me

thank you. Your attorneys do not own your property. Attorneys are there in a supporting role. Whilst you have full mental capacity, your attorneys must follow your instructions and not go against you wishes and in fact must not act other than in accordance with your instructions and wishes and they can be personally liable to you if they failed to do so.

If you have appointed attorneys using a lasting power of attorney, then the power will survive even if you lose mental capacity but the attorneys must still about point act in your best interests.

In terms of your Jamaican property, unless you have gifted this way, it would remain your property and if you have been asked to complete a means assessment questionnaire, you should include all your property wherever it may be situated in the world. I hope that answers your question, but please do come back to me if you have any follow-up queries

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That's perfect - thanks

A pleasure. All the best

Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you