Mina Counsel
Mina Counsel, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister
109424057

I have had a visit this morning from a Debt Collection

Good morning. I have had a visit this morning from a Debt Collection Agency handing me an 'Enforcement Notice' which states they are collecting a 'Debt' from 2008 for non payment of Council Tax. I remember disputing this at the time with the Local Authority, so I am not sure why I am in the position I now find myself. There has been no court hearing concerning this matter, so I am questioning the Validity of this Notice/Visit?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Living in London know. 'Debt' relates to living in Romford with the LB of Havering
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I disputed the claim with them at the time and assumed this matter ended with my counter claims. It related to a period of the property being vacant and then single occupation I thought it just 'ended'. I have received no court notices at all and not sure how it has ended with this company and after so many years?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know if this 'Debt' is enforcible with no Court Action/ Decision and can I ask that it does go to court so I can defend myself?

Hello, welcome to Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** I am a London based practising barrister with over 15 years experience. I am happy to assist you today. I may need to ask you some questions in order to determine your legal position and I will provide you with an email advice on the same day. Thank you.

There will be an automatic generated phone call offer should you wish to speak to me directly for a fixed fee with no time limit.

(Please note this is NOT always an instant chat service therefore I may not be able to reply immediately. Rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you the same day. / within 24 hours if it's outside office hours.)

I am sorry to hear about the situation. Are you able to upload the Notice so I can take a look for you?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi there. Here you are

Thank you. Please bear with me.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I just need an overview at the moment on the Legality in all of this, I would be happy to talk personally with greater details if need be afterwards. Chris
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Mina. Can you please provide your advice in this matter? Many thanks

Hello I am so sorry I replied earlier but just realised the message did go through.

The document you provided does not look genuine to me, especially when it is not accompanied by the court order. You can either ask them to produce a court order, or contact London Borough of Havering to find out whether any proceedings had been issued against you. If there were, and you wish to contest it, you can apply for the order to be set aside.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank You. I appreciate your very late reply Mina. I will request df the court case. If there wasn’t one, is there any legal obligation for me to pay this ‘debt’ when I have not been able to contest anything?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That should have said “details of the court case”

This is a hand written document that looks very suspicious, at least I have not seen one like this in my 16 years of practice. You are not legally obliged to correspond with them at the moment. Contact the council tomorrow and inform them of this.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Many thanks...........

You are welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.