12826847

My Daughter is on universal credit and has been told that

My Daughter is on universal credit and has been told that she has been overpaid and she must repay £1400. When she asked for details of overpayment she was told there were no details available and that she must repay amount.
JA: Where is your daughter? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Thurrock
JA: What steps has your daughter taken so far?
Customer: she has been in touch with them but they refuse to discuss the matter.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: don’t think so.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Are you asking how to challenge this?

Without the information I asked for I can only give you a general answer but I hope this helps.

If you are asking whether they can deduct this then obviously they can but you can't appeal their decision to the tribunal .

If they say there is an overpayment then they will begin deductions

There isn't much option if she remains on Universal Credit but she can appeal their decision which would probably be a good idea as it costs nothing

You can find detailed here

https://www.gov.uk/appeal-benefit-decision

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.