Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I try to finish my fixed term contract because I find out my

Hi Pearl, I try to finish my fixed term contract because I find out my flatmate gaslighting on me and I'm afraid of living with him. I tried to replace myself, but didn't find anyone yet. My agency gave us a deal, if we find the date when we move out then I'm able to finish the contract. Seems like my flatmate acting like he don't understand but his agreed abou to move out. Since 22 October I try to figure it out the date. What should I do with someone who's doesn't show me logical reasons why hi doesn't find out the date?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Currently I living in London.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've spoken with the landlady fist and the agency, I've spoken with the citizen advice as well.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to finish this contract and I don't know how...

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about it.

Could you please confirm if this is a joint tenancy fixed term agreement?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Vineet, this fixed term contract running until 2023 Marc.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Sorry I tap on the phone call by mistake.

And you and your flat mate both have signed it as joint tenants

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
we both signed up. I'm the head tenant.

In a Joint tenancy , all tenants are jointly and severally liable for rent payments till the expiry of the fixed term. Even if one tenant leaves, other stays , the tenancy continues, and Landlord can chase anyone or each for the rent payments.

Joint tenancy can be terminated if all tenants leave at the same time and hand over the vacant possession back to the Landlord.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I looking for a legal way out, I have a guarantor and I'm not planning to do anything against the law.

and a fixed-term tenancy can be terminated -

by exercising Break clause

or on the expiry of the fixed term tenancy.

Or by surrender of the tenancy in favour of a new tenant , if mutually agreed with the Landlord.

Tenant remains liable for all rent payments till the new tenant takes over the tenancy , in surrender of tenancy.

if the other joint tenant is not co-operating , then only way left is finding a replacement tenant who can take over the tenancy from you.

Tenancy agreements are binding contracts and can not be terminated mid-term, without having implications for their breach.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I try to replace myself since June and I don't find anyone. Now my flatmate wants to live as well but since 22 October hi doesn't reply on the question about the date.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Did you called me, I picked up and I can't hear anything.

You both need to decide on the date first when both of you will leave , then negotiate with your Landlord for your early release from this tenancy agreement

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thats perfectly clear to me but my flatmate acting weird, like he holds back this information. I don't know what to do...

I am not available at the moment for a phone call but other experts are free to contact you. as the call request is open to all experts. If you would like to cancel the call and the charge, please contact Just Answer`s Customers team , by clicking the below weblink-

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us

or via phone call - 0808(###) ###-####/em>

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I waiting for the date and I drop my idea January 31... his reaction was unexpected...

As it is a joint tenancy , unfortunately you are stuck with your tenant , and need to take a collective decision.

Or find your replacement.

It is not a wise idea to sign a joint tenancy agreement if you are not sure about the other joint tenants,

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
seems like I depending on him and hi can acting until end of the time
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I can't believe there's no way out

Unfortunately , yes, there is none, as you have signed yourself for a fixed term, and if you leave early then it would be a breach on your part and Landlord can still chase you for rent payments as per agreed tenancy agreement.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I find out during the first lockdown he is narcissistic and he gaslighting on me I decided to move out

Report any such incidents to the police and your Landlord, that you are not feeling safe with him.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I went to the psychologist and I opened up about the whole thing to my landlady
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Seems like those one who's dealing with this kind of people stuck in the trap

just try to negotiate your way out of this tenancy with your landlady on the basis of unreasonable conduct of your flat mate.

And never to sign a joint tenancy and tie yourself up with some one you are not sure about.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you and all the very best.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
She wants to help me trough with the agency but they told me exactly that what I already know and what you suggest
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
How I can refund the £5 ?

Agency is Landlord's agent , they are there to help her with managing her property, however she can have the final say, and ask them to release you early.

Please note, I do not have any control over payment issues.

Kindly contact Just Answer`s Customers team for your payment query, by clicking the below weblink-

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
If I don't dealing with difficulties then you guys don't have job so call my step unwise doesn't sound professional.

Hi there,

I am taking here in general. My apologies if you have construed it differently.

What I meant is, this is a joint agreement , which you can not be terminated , if the other party is not helpful/unwilling, For terminating a joint tenancy , a joint/collective decision is needed.

Many thanks and all the best.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
You are an expert and there is a differences between a general advice and know all of the details. I think if someone looking for solutions doesn't mean they are didn't try other ways. Usually seek help from the lawyer sound like we respect of them knowledge in general. Professionalism start with the service in fact. I just want that money back and that's all.
Best regards.

Thank you for your reply.

Many thanks.