How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78932
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can I speak to someone? Midlands, None legally, No would

This answer was rated:

Can I speak to someone ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Midlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None legally
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No would rather speak to someone

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What would you like to know?

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78932
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I would like to know the legality of a medical team overriding parents wishes to tell somebody over the age of 18 that it is a possibility that they have a genetic condition. The parents want to wait until after he has finished university in two years time because he is autistic and has ADHD and will most definitely react adversely, most likely drop out of university, The multidisciplinary team said that if the parents don’t conform and tell him then they will go ahead and the doctor will tell him. The medical team could not definitely promise full support
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I await your call

That isn't my area then.

I will opt out for others and ask customer services about your phone call.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I await the new solicitors call
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I am waiting for a call ...
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I need a reply by 4pm is that possible?

Hi, this is Jim, thank you for the question - I will do my best to resolve this quickly for you. I cannot take a call but your call request is open to others who may still contact you to discuss by telephone.
I will proceed to give you a written answer. Sorry to hear of the issue. I could understand your concern if the patient lacked mental capacity to make their own decisions. Everyone is presumed to retain mental capacity unless an expert can prove they don't, after an assessment. But as your Son is over 18 then he has a right to know a diagnosis and the NHS would not deny a patient the information if they were to ask whether their condition is genetic or otherwise. When someone reaches the age of 18 they become adults hence why the MD team are keen on telling the patient. If they didn't then they may sued for negligence.

You could make a complaint to the NHS Trust concerned to point out the potential consequences if your Son was to be told of his condition and if dissatisfied with the outcome of the NHS complaint you can then appeal to the Parliamentary Health & Social Care Ombudsman here:

With the NHS being a public body you could challenge the legality of their decision. There is a legal remedy available whereby you can issue "Judicial Review" proceedings which is where you involve the court, and a senior judge or panel of judges looks the legality of the NHS's decision. If the judge(s) find in your favour, they will make an order which is binding on the NHS.

The issue with judicial review is that the cases are quite complex, but as a result of that, a law firm can usually recover their legal costs from the NHS if they win the application. You should be able to have a no win no fee agreement with the law firm, to sue the council. Here are a few firms who specialise in this area :

I hope this helps and answers the question which is easy to understand - please feel free to ask me anything else. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Thanks for using our services and have a good day,

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you very much

My pleasure, thanks.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Do I still get charged £44 for a phone call as the reply I got was in the form of an email/text
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
How much is text/email reply

Hi there, follow up questions are fine and not charged extra.

If you would like to cancel the call and the charge, customer services can be contacted here: