How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12379
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am dealing with a house insurance claim that has been

This answer was rated:

I am dealing with a house insurance claim that has been going on for 2 years. They haven’t settled the claim yet. It’s due for renewal can they up the price this year.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Derby
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: They have been very slow and wanted to investigate further. 2 pipes that are plastic have just been fixed in front of the house. the accounts manager wants to talk too me which is strange
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: it’s a subsidence claim for a small porch they are not doing things in a straightforward manner and not being direct. The people I dealt with where quite intimidating. That’s why I may need too seek help from a specialist

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. The first thing you need to realise is that there is nothing to prevent your house insurance provider from increasing the price for renewal of your house insurance this year, even if you have a claim outstanding. There is no rule of law which prevents this from happening. Secondly, I would suggest you get a Loss Adjuster to help you with your subsidence claim for the small porch, if you need a specialist to help you. The Loss Adjuster will have wide experience in dealing with claims and will help smooth the path towards a satisfactory resolution of the claim you have made. It will avoid you dealing with the intimidating people you have met in making the claim.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok can I go else where for renewal and the claim with this insurance carries on. Loss adjusters are they people that quote the price of fixing.
My insurance was 177 pounds last year. Does that mean they are allowed too charge me whatever they like.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Is it a public loss adjuster I need too look for.

2. You should shop around for your house insurance, as there is no obligation to remain with this insurance provider, if they are charging you too much. Secondly, it is a private loss adjuster than you look for who deals with both public and private insurance. In practice, most offer to handle all types of claim, so speak with the loss adjuster before you hire them to see if they agree to handle your claim.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Good Morning
Just wondering could trading standards help this situation at all?

3. Trading standards have no role in setting prices for insurance. Essentially, a free market operates and if you are not happy with the price of house insurance, you should take your business elsewhere.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
They haven’t given me a price yet and it runs out on Monday. And I keep calling but they are saying I need too speak to the accounts manger. So feeling abit lost with the situation.

4. Then you should speak with the accounts manager and find out how much it is. If you are not happy, then take your business elsewhere.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The accounts manger I have tried to get in touch with her on a few occasions,and she hasn’t called back. And my insurance runs out on Monday Should I make a complaint or wait till the day the insurance runs out

5. You should go to a different insurance provider and seek insurance there. If there is going to be no call back, then you should purchase house insurance elsewhere.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok thank you for your advice

6. Glad to be of assistance. Have a good day.