Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have question. What are my rights if I dont wear a mask in

hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have question. What are my rights if I dont wear a mask in a supermarket. Can they cal the police? can I be put in prison? will I be fined?
JA: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: nothing has happened. I have always worn a mask. I want to know what will happen if I dont? what can they do against me?
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: in Asda, Newport, Wales
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i walked in without a mask. what can happen to me. if I carried on walking. I left the store as I wasnt interested in discussing any furter no nothing else

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Hi there. Can I just check, would there be any medical reason as to why you could not wear a mask?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No there is no medical reason but I don't consent to wearing a mask
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It is against my human rights SO i dont want to do it

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now.

Whilst you may believe it is against your human rights not to wear a mask, it is also the supermarket’s right not to allow you on to their premises without one or not to serve you as a result. Bear in mind that a supermarket is basically private property and they have the right to decide who is allowed on to their premises, just as you have a right to decide who comes into your house.

So if you are not adhering to their rules, or the rules they are following based on what the Government has implemented, it is pretty simple – you will be refused entry and/or service. That is not illegal on their part – they do not owe you anything, they are not obliged to deal with you or sell you anything, even if you believe you are exercising your human rights in the process.

If you comply with their requests peacefully, such as leaving if asked to, then there should be no problem. However, if you kick up a fuss and refuse to leave and demand you are allowed in or served, that is when they can involve the police and you could potentially be fined or cautioned. Don’t worry about jail – that is very unlikely unless there has been something very serious, like a physical assault.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.