Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I’m a U.K. citizen living in England. I’m approaching my

I’m a U.K. citizen living in England. I’m approaching my 66th Birthday. I’ve paid all my National Insurance Contributions.
I’ve also lived in USA and worked there and have started collecting Social Security.
Is there a problem with me being eligible for both Social Security payments from USA and National Insurance Contributions from U.K. ??

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’m ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
I initially researched this question back in the 1980’s, where there appears to be an agreement between U.S and U.K regarding being able to keep both forms of contributions at retirement age.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Thank you for your patience.

There is a social security agreement (SSA) between the UK and the US which deals with the calculation and payment of state pensions for people who have worked in both countries. This agreement helps you to qualify for benefits in circumstances where you don’t meet the normal minimum contribution requirements.

You need ten years of contributions to the US Social Security scheme to qualify for any US state pension. In the UK, you now get some basic state pension for each year you paid UK national insurance,

So, if you meet the minimum conditions based on the combined periods of contribution, a pension will be calculated on a pro-rata basis for the actual years you contributed in that country.

For the US, you will still need a minimum of 18 months of US coverage before they will take into account UK contributions. For the UK, you will need a minimum of one year’s UK contributions before US contributions will be taken into account.

Under the social security agreement (SSA) a state retirement pension from one country , including annual increases while in payment can be paid to a retiree living in the other country.

Please click below for further information on the SSA.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10199.pdf

I hope that helps.

Vineet S,
Experience: Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed