How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1636
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I’m a U.K. citizen living in England. I’m approaching my

This answer was rated:

I’m a U.K. citizen living in England. I’m approaching my 66th Birthday. I’ve paid all my National Insurance Contributions.
I’ve also lived in USA and worked there and have started collecting Social Security.
Is there a problem with me being eligible for both Social Security payments from USA and National Insurance Contributions from U.K. ??

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’m ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
I initially researched this question back in the 1980’s, where there appears to be an agreement between U.S and U.K regarding being able to keep both forms of contributions at retirement age.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Thank you for your patience.

There is a social security agreement (SSA) between the UK and the US which deals with the calculation and payment of state pensions for people who have worked in both countries. This agreement helps you to qualify for benefits in circumstances where you don’t meet the normal minimum contribution requirements.

You need ten years of contributions to the US Social Security scheme to qualify for any US state pension. In the UK, you now get some basic state pension for each year you paid UK national insurance,

So, if you meet the minimum conditions based on the combined periods of contribution, a pension will be calculated on a pro-rata basis for the actual years you contributed in that country.

For the US, you will still need a minimum of 18 months of US coverage before they will take into account UK contributions. For the UK, you will need a minimum of one year’s UK contributions before US contributions will be taken into account.

Under the social security agreement (SSA) a state retirement pension from one country , including annual increases while in payment can be paid to a retiree living in the other country.

Please click below for further information on the SSA.

I hope that helps.

Thank you.

Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1636
Experience: Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Vineet S and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you