How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2688
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Good afetrnoon, I have been caught by speed camera on 20th

This answer was rated:

Good afetrnoon,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have been caught by speed camera on 20th of September, 40 miles, instead of 30. Just today i have received the NIP after a month and a half. Is it valid?
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: Glasgow, Scotland
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: no, i just must to complete who the driver was and send it to them within 28 days
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thank you

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

The NIP must be served within 14 days of the offence otherwise it is invalid.

However, before writing the ticket off, I just need to check several things with you.

1. Was the car your own car or a hire car or registered to another person?

2. If it was your own car, is the address of the V5 the correct address for where you are now living?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Can t you just tell me if the NIP is valid, regarding the dates i ve given you? I ve already paid 5 pounds for one question...
Customer: replied 15 days ago. s my husband s car
2. The adress on my driving license is the same with where i am living now
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
the car is registered on my husband s LTD, and the LTD has the adress where we are living now. Please help me with an answer. Thank you.

As I have tried to explain it is not quite that simple. If the NIP is more than 14 days then it can be void, however, the NIP would be sent to the registered owners address, that is the address on the V5, NOT the address on the driving licence.

The LTD address, the driving licence address make no difference, it is the address on the V5 that counts. If the address on the V5 is the correct address then as the NIP is more than 14 days being served it can be invalid. You still have to return the paperwork but also explain the NIP is out of time.

I have attached a template letter you can use for that.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
my husband had 2 previous penalties for parking, which were sent to our present adress...

I have explained the law as it is. I really cannot explain any further. You will need to look at the V5. If it is the correct address, then use the letter I have attached for you to dismiss the NIP.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
One more question and I am done: When i send the template letter , should i send the NIP completed too? Or i m just sending the letter, with a copy of NIP, as it is written in template letter?
If issues will appear, i will request a call from you to talk and/or represent me in court, money are not a problem for us, so i can pay the penalty, but i don t want my points to be taken...
Thank you very much.

You do need to return the paperwork as well, failure to do so is a separate offence.

james bruce and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance.