How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2717
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I have a question in regards to identity fraud. I have

This answer was rated:

Hello there, I have a question in regards ***** ***** fraud. I have received a letter from EDF company claiming I have an outstanding balance to pay and that my case was passed to a debt collector. I have never opened an account with EDF company. What do I do?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted EDF and I told them I have never opened an account and they told me they will open an investigation. Today I have received a letter from debt collectors. The account was opened under my name and the address were I have never lived at. I know the exact address and the time were the account was opened.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like to know what do I do and who do I contact, thank you

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

You need to continue pursuing the matter with EDF so that they can continue their investigation into how someone has used your details to obtain services.

You should also report the apparent theft of your identity to the police so that they may also carry out investigations. That should be simple for them as they have an address to go to.

When you speak to EDF ask them to cancel the debt collectors pending the investigation.

In the meantime, if the collectors do call or communicate again, advice them what has happened and if need be tell them to stop contacting and harassing you. Ypi could use a formal cease and desist letter to stop them.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok, great! I will do that, thank you. Will it be ok to keep in touch with you?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Good morning James, I hope you are well. I have an additional question to ask in regards ***** ***** case. As I have never had any contract with EDF company and I've never received any letter or email from them previously, how did they manage to send me last letter to my address? The letter informs me that I have an outstanding balance, and my case has been passed to a debt collector company. My question is, where did they find my address? Can we consider it as a violation of GDPR? Thank you

It would be impossible for me to second guess how they managed to send the letter. To you. That is something you would need to ask them.

If someone has given your details to them posing as you and they write to you that is not a breach of data protection

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Good afternoon James, I was wondering if you could advise me. We have connected all of the above you have mentioned in regards ***** ***** case. There are two investigations open from EDF as well as police. Could you please advise me- IF the suspect was found (however I doubt that), but if he/she was found is it worth it to open a court case- considering time, money, effort? To be honest with you I am happy to hire a lawyer and proceed with the court but I need to know if this is worth the effort, as I have never been in this position and I don't have any court-related experience. I believe I am not the only one affected by identity theft, could you please tell me what do people normally do? I am aware it is hard for you to say as everyone is different, so let me picture my present situation. I am a 25y student, I do work, however now I am affected by current circumstances, I have some savings. As I said previously I would be happy to proceed the case if this would bring me some 'profit' not loss if you know what I mean.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

If the person is caught, it is very likely that the would be prosecuted for ID theft and fraud.

As a victim of this, you would be informed and if you have actually suffered any financial loss due to this, you could file a compensation claim with the CPS during the the court case of that person and the court would consider applying compensation as part of any sentence.

That is the best way to deal with it. Less stressful, yet the prosecution deal with it, and no cost to you.