12826847

I won a case - Westminster Magistrates Court. I was told

I won a case - Westminster Magistrates Court . I was told that it was possible to apply for expenses ( I spent over £11,000 for Barrister and solicitor ) The solicitor has offered to apply to the court to me. However I have no idea what to expect - and if his fees are more than what we might get, I would not pursue this, unless it was on a percentage deal .
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: The case was about alleged harassment
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: He's the one who suggested this after the Magistrate was asked if we would be given permission to ask for expenses
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No ..except that I used a non criminal solicitor which may have been a mistake but by using him i had access to a very good barrister

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Has he offered to do this for free?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. My question is that I am the guarantor for a friend of mine. To make a story short. My friend was arrested for harassment, but in fact it was proven that it was a woman who had been harassing him until he swore at her - his actions and voice were filmed before she called the police. Her claims were thrown out of Court as it was proved that she had lied. As my friend's guarantor, I was billed £11,000. I do not regret spending the money as my friend was acquitted of all charges. However his barrister asked the QC if we could apply for expenses. I know that we will not receive the entire portion, but I would want to know what would be the average amount that might considered? The reason I asked is that it makes no sense to pay £400 an hour to a solicitor only to recoup less than we received.

Thanksfor the information

You need to get a clearer quote from thesolicitor.

However, you will receive up to legal aidrates which will probably be nothing like £400 an hour.

Ask him to specify exactly how much he isclaiming in costs.

Generally speaking it is not worth an applicationfor legal costs if you are privately paying.

Can I clarifyanything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWER..I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION ABOUT A CPN THAT WAS APPLIED AFTER MY FRIEND WAS ARRESTED

Go on?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
THE CPN WAS NEVER ANSWERED AND THE 21 DAYS ARE PAST. HOWEVER THE CPN NEEDS TO BE DEALT WITH AS IT LEAVES MY FRIEND VULNERABLE TO FURTHER HARASSMENT IF THE WOMAN CONTINUES FILMING HIM. THE PC WHO SIGNED THE CPN DID IT ON THE RECOMMENDATION OF A COMMUNITY POLICEMAN WHO LIKED THE WOMAN..BUT NOW REALISES HIS MISTAKE. IS THERE ANYWAY THAT THE CPN CAN BE DEALT WITH WITHOUT HAVING TO GO BACK TO COURT AGAIN. I THINK THAT THE PC WOULD BE HELPFUL BUT I DON'T KNOW IF HE CAN REVERSE THE CPN WITHOUT HAVING TO GO BACK TO COURT.

Well, clearly itisn’t fair. But sometimes people do lieIm afraid.

You have 21 days to appeal a CPN notice to themagistrate’s court.

The test is basically that you didn’t meet one of therequired limbs.

You will find the test here under S46

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/12/part/4/chapter/1/crossheading/community-protection-notices/enacted

The forms do tell you how to appeal

If you don’t appeal within 21 days though, and thereare alleged breaches, it will be too late then however unfair the order – Stannardv CPS

You could try to appeal late.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I never got a phone call - but Solicitor Jo C. gave me the information I wanted

Good to talk to you. I can call if you would like?

No problem.

All the best.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I never had a phone call

I covered this above?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am disputing the charges because I was billed For a phone call and never received it. You answered part of my question but as the information I could give to you was limited by What I could write it did not help as I knew what you had told me before. My question about how a policeman may have been the problem would have needed a more in depth conversation by phone

Yes, havent you rather missed this ;

Me

No problem.

All the best.

13/11/2020 08:42