MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109551472

My daughter is at university and needs to sign a Assured

My daughter is at university and needs to sign a Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (AST) tomorrow to rent with a total of 8 students next September 2021.I would like to get the AST checked and clarify what liability she would be undertaking. We will not be guarantors as she is paying the whole years rent at the commencement of the contract. I can forward the AST which is 16 pages.Kind regards, ***** ***** Kevin Devonport

Good evening, thank you for your question, are you able to attach the Agreement please?

Marian

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I can but can i do it from my this just answer account or can i email it. I cant see an attach button on this page.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Id rather talk via email if possible
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Can I email you the AST agreement?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Sorry, just realised where the attachment button is. Agreement attached below
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi have you had a chance to look at the agreement, if you have we would like to call you from the link above?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi, I've typed up a list of questions we are concerned about (in the attached file). Would you be able to answer them for your £44 fee? My daughter needs to sign the agreement tomorrow. Thanks, ***** *****

Thank you, ***** ***** have a look.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Great, thank you

Under the agreement all of the tenants and their guarantors are jointly and separately liaible, so if all of the students and guarantors did not pay then theoretically your daughter could be pursued for the entire amount of unpaid rent, whether this would be pursued to the point of bankruptcy I couldn't say. This would have to be looked at, at that point in time.

If you need advice in terms of the implications and long term effects of bankruptcy you will have to open a new question.

In terms of drug use then this implies they are also all equally liable although this could of course be argued at the time if this became an issue. If there are breaches then the agreement can be terminated. The greater the number of tenants then the greater the exposure to any default of the Tenancy agreement.

The term lodger implies someone longer term than a casual sleepover or guest and also implies some form of payment.

Each tenant of course needs to obtain separate/individual contents insurance and under the agreement a group insurance policy for damage.

Marian

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Many thanks for your advice. Kind regards.

Thank you, ***** ***** me know if you need further assistance or clarification.