How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2702
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My brothers been arrested for a serious crime, he has not

This answer was rated:

my brothers been arrested for a serious crime
JA: What was your brother charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?
Customer: he has not been charged yet he was arrested a few hours ago
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: in his house
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: hes got severe mental health and sutism autism

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I need to be at the police station tomorrow
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
what are the steps I should take?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I'm gonna be there with him tomorrow because he can't be questioned by himself because of his mental health and I would like ti be prepared for it. Should I ask for a duty solicitor as soon as I get in?

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.

Because of his condition, he would be traded as a vulnerable person and in that case would be entitled to an appropriate adult to sit in on the interview ( ie you)

Yes, he can have a solicitor, you can either arrange for a criminal solicitor yourself, or you can ask the police station as the appropriate adult to arrange for the duty solicitor to be instructed. The duty solicitors are independent of the police and are experienced criminal lawyers who represent the clients at police stations and court, they also come free at the police station because they offer legal aid.

To speed things along tomorrow, if you arrange in advance for the solicitor to be instructed, the police station will inform the solicitor when they are ready for interview, to they can attend reducing any delays.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I'm contacting the police right now to try to speak to him but unfortunately they said that I won't be able to talk to him but they are gonna tell him where he is been kept.
How can I speed things for tomorrow right now?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
They told me where he is.
I would like to contact a duty solicitor for him to make sure that tomorrow we'll be ready for the interview

You can ask the police station to arrange the duty solicitor now. Or you can find a local Criminal law firm that has legal aid and contact ready yourself.

It may be helpful to instruct a local solicitor who specialises in this area of law. You can find a local firm using the Law Society website.

Once on that website, you can click on the find a solicitor option located just above the Law Society logo. Select quick search, then select the area of law required and enter your post code. A list of local firms will then be displayed.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Perfect. I've done that and I arranged a solicitor for him tomorrow. Thank you so much for your help

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you