james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

A girl published private messages between her and my brother

Hi, a girl published private messages between her and my brother who is physically and mentally unwell...they have left he in a suicidal state . She refuses to respond and remove the messages from Facebook. What can we do ?
JA: Where is your brother? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: He is in Ireland and she is in the uk
JA: What steps has your brother taken so far?
Customer: We explained the circumstances, apologies and begging her to remove them from the platform. People screen shot the messages and sent the to many people on whats app...
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, how does this site work?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The messages were posted on a private group ....we asked the administrators of the group but they said you need to contact her directly, which we subsequently did but got no response...
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
What he said was not acceptable but there was prob around 60 / 70 messages between them and only a snippet of the conversation was posted....he has made he look so rude and has destroyed his character completely....

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Very sorry to hear this has happened.

As she is in the UK, you can deal with the matter there.

The first thing to do is to explain the same thing again to the website owners and asking them to remove the offending items.

Next, is to ask the person responsible for placing them there to remove them.

If they refuse or fail to reply, then you can and should issue the person and the website owners with a formal "cease and desist letter". This confirms the harassment being caused and demanded that the remove and cases and desist from there actions or face court action. This type of letter normally does the job.

You can have a solicitor draft and send this letter or you can do so yourself.

To assist, I have attached a template that you can use.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok Thank you. Is it legal to screenshot and post your private conversation images.? On a third party platform. It does read poorly but not the full story as she was selective about the snippets of messages posted. One would think he deserves this shaming but he is mental unwell and also has lymphoma cancer...he cannot handle the public shaming and has mentioned suicide a number of times since. Is the Facebook Private Group responsible as well. They has said that they are not as they are not data controllers . Thanks so much.

As the messages were also hers she can post them on yes, but she should not be doing anything that can be harmful or cause harassment.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance.