How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2223
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I have just moved in to a 4 bedroom shared property with my

This answer was rated:

Good Evening,
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have just moved in to a 4 bedroom shared property with my sister on Sunday.The premises of us signing the tenancy was based on the landlord stating in writing, that he would rent the last room to a female, as we specified we we're not comfortable sharing with a male. We discovered on Sunday from our female flat mate that a male currently resides in the property. Do we have the right to unwind the tenancy agreement?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, we have not filed any paperwork.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No, we haven't spoken to a lawyer.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, we are in current talks with the landlord who is saying that he was referring to another property unrelated to our current residency. We have the screenshots, which says otherwise.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

It appears the landlord misleading information influenced you to sign the tenancy agreement.Misleading action as described can be deemed an unfair trading practices, which is prohibited by the Consumer Protection (Amendment) Regulations 2014. The law states that where someone has entered into a contract as a result of a misleading action or aggressive practice, redress under this civil law may be obtained through the right to unwind the contract. In order to claim this right, you must inform the landlord (or landlord's agent) that you want to reject the contract within 90 days of the tenancy start date. There is no obligation for this to be put in writing, but I strongly advise you to do so. Therefore please write to the Landlord reminding of your rights under the civil law in question and you wish to exercise the right to unwinding the agreement.

Assuming he does not accept your position, you can file a complaint against the landlord contacting the housing ombudsman.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for responding, it is appreciated. Will we be able to receive our deposit?

Yes if the the contract is unwound therefore you should be put back in the position as if the contract did not exist.


Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Apologies, does that mean we get back our deposit?

Yes if you successfully convince the landlord to unwind the contract.


Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Brilliant, thank you very much for providing us with legal advice. Stay safe, take care.

Your welcome and have a good night.

Anthony Chendo and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you