How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2723
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My husband had booked a ticket with travelgenio and it got

This answer was rated:

My husband had booked a ticket with travelgenio and it got cancelled last year.I payed 900£ still l did not get the refund
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: in aberdeen
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I contacted them so many times they are saying that the airlines have to issue a refund but still nothing
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.
How did you pay for this ticket?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Debit card
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No l don't want to switch to live phone

Who cancelled the ticket, the company, or yourself?

We can continue here

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The company had given a longer waiting time so we told them that this option is not okay for me

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.
you can try to make a claim back on your debit card, “charge back”. You would need to speak to you card issuing bank about that, they would normally put the amount into dispute and then wait for the company to challenge or approve the refund.

Your other option would be to send the company a “letter before action” seeking your money back. If they do it refund in the required time frame then you can commence a claim against them at court. That application can now be made online for ease.

I have attached a template letter before action that you may use, and also a link to the court money claim site.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I dont want this premium service offer please can you cancel