How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16793
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I came out of prison earlier this year and have now written

This answer was rated:

Hi Pearl. I came out of prison earlier this year and have now written a book based on my experiences and memoirs (of challenges faced before I went inside). I've mentioned names of fellow women inmates, whose details are already in the public domain. Can I name them in my book and refer to their crimes (as detailed in the press)?
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: It's a book I'm writing, but I've been on the internet and read articles about the people I met and the crimes they committed.
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No, I haven't talked to a local solicitor. Don't know any, who specialise in this type of issue (libel?) Not sure what you mean by "has anything been filed in court" - I've not filed anything in court, but all the articles I've read in the press, about the women I met in prison, are after they have been convicted (so courts have decided their fate).
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: On a separate issue, I was bullied at work before I went to prison (one of my mitigating circumstances) but had to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) when they paid me compensation and I then retired. My employee reported the circumstances of the NDA and the payment made in the press after I went to prison, so has the NDA been breached by them, and in which case, can I refer to it (and the bullying I received) in my book?

Thanks for your question. I am an intellectual property solicitor in The UK with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

You can refer to people by name and refer to their crimes. These are a matter of public record and they cannot sue you for reporting the crimes of which they have been convicted as the truth in your book. As regards ***** ***** if the employer is in breach you are no longer bound by it.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you