Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I am owed 5 refunds total of £10.84 by Wish. These should've

I am owed 5 refunds total of £10.84 by Wish. These should've been in my bank account at least 2 months ago but despite lots of emails from me, all they do is send me on a merry go round. They state I'm not eligible for refunds but I applied for them prompt & said orders have been deleted from my online account with them. I've emailed their CEO but no respose.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Hull.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Like I said, I've emailed their CEO but no response. I've repeatedly email Wish & they send me automated emails & never help me. It's making me very stressed as I've just completed 15 rounds of radiotherapy.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: All I want is my £10.84 back.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years experience.

I'm very sorry to read of the above.

1. May I confirm the reason for the refunds please? for example are they in relation to cancelled orders?
  2. How were the payments made? e.g. credit, debit card?
  3. When were the payments originally made?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No they weren't cancelled orders.On wish site they offer you the chance to 'win' items. I tried my luck on 5 {4 x£2, 1X £2.84} & it said if not won in 24 hours they would refund me. After a few days this didn't happen so I applied for refunds myself. Now around 2 months of emailing them & getting nowhere they say I'm not eligible for refunds even though I promptly applied for them. The said orders have been deleted from my Wish account. I emailed their CEO but no response. They send me automated emails. It's really stressing me out to be treat like this as I've just completed 15 rounds of radiotherapy.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No please don't call me but please get this mess sorted out.

Thank you. May I ask how you paid for the cancelled orders please? For example if you pay by debit card or credit card?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I never cancelled these 5 orders, Wish removed my 'evidence' of these orders from my Wish account. I oirginaly paid the total of £10.84 using my bank debit card. The pending payments for these orders was removed from my bank account & I thought oh good, I'm going to receive my refunds but never did they come my way. I applied for my refunds as soon as Wish informed I hadn't 'won' these orders but like I keep saying, no refunds,
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Please do not ring me as I prefer to type.

Thanks. So to be clear the pending payments were removed from your bank account. Does this mean they were not charged to your bank account?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
They were charged to my account.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I'm checking my account now.

thank you. If you determine the amounts were in fact charged to your account, and you have already requested a refund from the merchant and they have not provided one, then the simplest way to obtain a refund would be to raise a chargeback request through your bank on the basis that your orders have been cancelled and the merchant has refused a refund despite your request. The chargeback is a process operated by the card issuer, be it Visa or MasterCard along their internal rules. A chargeback can typically be raised for up to 120 days from the date of the transaction.

To raise a chargeback, you may either need to contact your bank by phone or some banks allow you to raise a dispute via their website by logging into Internet banking. You will typically need to supply the bank with evidence that you have requested a refund. The bank will then refund your account whilst they raise a dispute on your behalf and they will notify you of the result of the dispute to confirm the refund amounts are final

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
My husband has just checked my bank account & he found all transactions from Wish that were charged to my account. He never found these transactions at all so it looks like my mistake, sorry. Upon saying this, Wish never informed me at all what all this meant, as the bank says all pending payments have been taken from my account balance. So when I saw they'd been removed, I expected the said transactions to appear in my account as credits & when they never, I assumed the money had been taken but not refunded. If that makes sense?

thank you. That makes perfect sense and it is good news.

For future reference, a pending charge is appears when a merchant makes an application for money from your account. For most normal transactions, a pending charge will become a confirmed charge within around 3 days when the transaction is settled, but if a transaction is cancelled the pending charge is never settled and simply drops off your account.

some transactions stay as pending charges for a longer period - eg. it is common if you rent a car from a car rental company for them to authorise your account for an amount of deposit. This sits as a pending authorisation but only becomes a settled transaction if the rental company actually charge any amount of the deposit when the car is returned due to damage. If not the pending authorisation is released and like above the pending transaction drops off your account.

I hope that is helpful. I'm glad it was possible to quickly get to the bottom of the above issue

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you & if only Wish had explained this to me when I first complained, then weeks of anguish would've been avoided.

Quite. All the best