How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11967
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I had an accident at work yesterday morning at 5 am. The

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I had an accident at work yesterday morning at 5 am. The company places some wood pallets between the car to keep the distance between the cars, and some of the areas where this pallets are it is not lighted, quite dark at 5 am. I have falled over one of the pallets, and hurt my ribs and the side of the liver. I could not get up , the impact was so bad, I could not breath well and because the pain was so intense I was just about to faint. My husband is working with me, and he was the one lifting me from the ground and rushed me to hospital. The doctor said that does not look like I have any intern injuries, but if any complications would come along, should I go back to hospital. I am currently in pain, and it hurts me when I am breathing, and also I have a bruise on my leg
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am at home today, Birmingham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have called an union trade to ask what can I do, if they can help, and since I am not a member, they cannot do anything I have also called a number for advice, they do not seem to help at all
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer:***********It is the number for advice I called

Hi, this is Jim, thank you for the question - I will do my best to resolve this quickly for you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
There is anything I can do against the company? As this matter is about health and safety at work

Sorry to hear of the accident. Your employer must ensure your health and safety whilst at work - to ensure a safe working environment. If they do not then you can claim compensation for your injuries and any loss of earnings.
If you have ongoing symptoms then yes, you should go back to see a doctor, whether that is your GP or back to the hospital. I would probably recommend the hospital as your GP is not a specialist and you may need to see an orthopaedic consultant - there will be an orthopaedic clinic you can see when you go back.
In terms of the company, they will have compulsory employer's liability insurance which you can claim against though you should instruct a law firm on a no win no fee basis. The firm can also ask the insurer for an interim payment to pay you early, to help any immediate financial losses. I will get some details of firms you could approach.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
it is ok to write me on here please?

Here are a few firms you can approach who would look after you - they all offer no win no fee agreements, so you pay nothing up front. They will need to take your details and send the employer a letter before action, they will also source your hospital notes and instruct a suitable medico-legal expert to do a report on your injuries and likely recovery period - from that report then can work out a value for your claim.
Here are the firms :


There are many laws an employer has to comply with - based on your question I see no difficulty with establishing blame on their part. They should have lit the area and removed anything likely to cause an accident.

I hope this helps and answers the question which is easy to understand - please feel free to ask me anything else. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Thanks for using our services and have a good day,

JimLawyer and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The doctor said that there are no signs on my abdomen or ribs to show intern injuries, but I am in pain and it hurts me when I breath. He said it is likely to be like that for a while because of the impact
and if there are any complication in the future, to go back to hospital
so, if I do not have any injuries, I still can claim compensation through a lawer?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.

Hi there, you do have injuries from reading the question. Likely soft tissue injuries but enough to warrant a claim in my view. Yes, a lawyer would take on the case - you are still suffering with the symptoms and it's possible more investigation is required by the hospital if you are still having issues.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you so much! Have a wonderful day

And you too, I hope you recover soon. Have a great day, Jim