JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I recorded a telephone conversation with someone without

I recorded a telephone conversation with someone without notifying them I recorded it as I have a medical condition which affects my memory and I wanted the recording to refer to they have found out I recorded it and said I have broken the law and are asking for a copy I have not shared it with any third party and Only used it for personal reference
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I don’t believe I have broken the law however I need further advice
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you

Hi, this is Jim, thank you for the question - I will do my best to resolve this quickly for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue. There is a right to privacy under the Human Rights laws however if you are not planning on using the recordings apart from your personal use, there is not going to be any comeback on your part. It would only be if you wanted to use it in the public domain or to sue them that it would cause a problem. You would then either need their permission to use the recording, or the permission of the court to use it in evidence. My view is you have not broken the law.

If you are in any doubt then I would recommend that you ask the Information Commissioner's Office (the "ICO") on 0303(###) ###-#### They also have a "live chat" facility on their site - you can visit it here: https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

I hope this helps and answers the question which is easy to understand - please feel free to ask me anything else. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Thanks for using our services and have a good day,
Jim

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am taking them to court about the matter we discussed however I am not intending to use the recording as evidence would this change my position at all

Hi there, no, though if you wanted to use the recording in the court proceedings you would need permission of the court to use it (as the person you recorded did not give permission or had no knowledge).