F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My former landlady is refusing to reimburse money I paid for

Hello, my former landlady is refusing to reimburse money I paid for a professional clean shortly before the end of my tenancy, the time I did not know the law had changed and was fulfilling my contractual obligation. When I became aware of a change on law, I requested the money and she said I chose to pay and asked for the keys to be handed back for the tenancy which I did.. What can I do to seek reimbursement please?
JA: Has your landlady talked to a lawyer about this? What country does your landlady live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: Her postal address is UK and as far as I am aware her address is the property that I left . I do not know if she has seen a lawyer for advice.
JA: What steps has your landlady taken so far?
Customer: First she did not respond, then after we sent a second e-mail, she said she has 28 days to pay and then asked why did we chose to have the place cleaned if it was clean already, then she said we knew about the change in law at the time that we arranged for the flat to be cleaned (which we did not) Flat cleaned on 17-08 and request made 26-08, tenancy ended 27-08
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Massive delays in getting our deposit back, unreasonable deductions made for small jobs and refusal to contact handymen recommended for alternative quotes, I deducted cleaning money from final rent (stupidly) but she took it back when returning our deposit which I have not disputed as of yet

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need sometime to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

what change in law?

and reimbursement for what exactly?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Tenancy Act 2019 which states that tenants do not have to pay for professional cleaning and also states that landlady cannot instigate section 21 end of tenancy before reimbursing monies owed, if not reimbursed it is a civil offence. Money owed is £160. Sorry if I have misinterpreted the act but this i my understanding.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I want to know if it is worth raising a 1st tier dispute but feel not as the cost is £100 , although have e-mail evidence
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I wont use your phone service right now because the money I am looking to reimburse is relatively small in amount. Thank you for your assistance.

I am not familiar with a change in the law which covers what you are talking about. I am not familiar with the Tenancy Act 2019 but there is a Tenant Fees Act 2019 https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/tenant-fees-act

Which limits charges which she landlord can charge at the beginning of the tenancy or the end of the tenancy.

You will note, from the link I sent you, there is a bulleted list of charges and everything else is outlawed.

However the list is defective because it doesn’t stop the landlord charging for cleaning if the property is not cleaned to the necessary standard and it doesn’t stop the landlord charging for damage.

If the bulleted list was a definitive list, the tenant would be able to smash the property to pieces and the landlord would not be able to charge. I am of course exaggerating to prove the point.

So it comes down to how clean the property was and whether it did need cleaning or not because if it did, she would be able to deduct that cost.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Best wishes.

FES