How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2218
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I have been left distressed about someone refusing to pay a

This answer was rated:

I have been left distressed about someone refusing to pay a phone bill despite asking on 4 separate occasions I want to take it to court for injury to feeling as I am experiencing insomnia , lost some of my hair constantly in mood swings of sadness and anger can I take this claim to court
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have just sent her an email and text asking her to pay
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

Is there an agreement in place that the person will pay the bill?

Is the mobile phone contract in your name?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Anthony
Thank for explaining
I have not done a written agreement for the phone unfortunately it was only verbal however I have some past Whatsapp conversations between us reminding her to make the payment of £65. She used to pay monthly on my account I am not sure if it would be enough for a proof. Also although the phone contract is under my name the phone line on the contract is her first name just so we could differentiate the line.
I understand that I may not be able to do much for the phone and even if I could, what would be my best option?
Overall I want to know the if I can have various claims one for injury to feeling and one for the phone.
Many thanks

Thanks for the further information you can potentially sue the person for their failure to honour the agreement in respect of not paying the bill in question which I assume they are liable for. Before you consider court action you will need to send a letter before action, which outlines the reason why the amount in question is owed and if payment is not made within*****action will follow. I have attached a template for your consideration, which you can amend accordingly and also send the person in question.

Turning to the injury to feelings unless you obtain a medical evidence, which confirms you suffered psychological injury as a result of the issue you will struggle to recover anything.

Assuming you do not receive a response from the person following the letter you should consider court action.

With regards ***** ***** action, please return to JA as we can assist you with the court procedure.

I hope I have clarified the position, if not please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

Anthony Chendo and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks so much for the advice as well as the template I sure will use it. In terms of injury to feelings I have contacted my GP who has prescribed something to me as well as referring me to therapy based on what I have told him. I am starting therapy next week. I also have photographic evidence of my hair loss.


You will need what is called a medico legal report from a psychologist or psychiatrist to examine you and produce a report which links the symptoms to the ongoing issue. The reports are not cheap as its a private practice matter. Further the likely costs of such a report is higher than the amount owed. That said its up to you whether you wish to go down this road.