How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5159
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I have my preliminary hearing tomorrow for my employment

This answer was rated:

I have my preliminary hearing tomorrow for my employment claim and I do not have anyone to represent me. Can someone tell me what questions will they ask me? Any advice will help

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

If you are in a union, then you are entitled to a union rep attend and assist. If not another employee.

If it is a disciplinary hearing, then the questions will be related to the allegation.

Did you do what is alleged?

If you did why?

If you did not, do you have proof, where were you etc

These will be the type of questions. They would be fact finding questions to find out if you did what is alledged.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do i need to have any evidence or the evidence will be shown at the final hearing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have all necessary evidence for this case and I am positive that I will win, but I am worried that if I lose the case because I do not have a lawyer to represent me like the respondent’s lawyer. Will I be responsible to pay the court fees if I lose the case? Therefore, I would like to cancel the claim if I will be responsible for the court fees, I cannot risk getting myself into more debt. I will only go ahead with the case if I don’t have to pay the court fees.Looking forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also sent the tribunal this
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they confirmed i dont hsve to pay anything
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have i done something bad by sending that email?

so is this a tribunal case tomorrow or a hearing at work? you did not say at the start.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Preliminary hearing with the tribunal

OK, then in that case,

A preliminary hearing takes place before the main employment tribunal hearing. It helps the judge understand your case and make arrangements for the main hearing. You might be asked to go to a preliminary hearing if your case is complicated or involves discrimination. They don’t happen for every case.

At a preliminary hearing the judge could:

  • decide when the main employment tribunal hearing will be
  • discuss specific parts of your case
  • decide whether any of your claims or your employer’s responses should not be discussed at the main hearing (this means that they are ‘struck out’)
  • agree for a Judicial Assessment to take place (an informal assessment of your case before the main hearing)

Normally at employment tribunals each side pay their own legal fees, it is possible sometimes that the other side may have to pay.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I have to show any evidence tomorrow or at the final hearing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry to ask you another question, how can I get someone to represent me? Are there any charities that can help me?

The hearing is to basically set the scene for the main hearing. take what you have anyway, but unlikely to be needed tomorrow.

Some law firms offer a no win no fee on employment law, it is a case of finding one.

It may be helpful to instruct a local solicitor who specialises in this area of law. You can find a local firm using the Law Society website.

Once on that website, you can click on the find a solicitor option located just above the Law Society logo. Select quick search, then select the area of law required and enter your post code. A list of local firms will then be displayed.

The following two links will take you to where you may find solicitors who can assist, on either a free probono basis or on a no win no fee basis. Very often they deal with clients who cannot afford to pay for legal assistance and for whom legal aid is not available. The second is

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Amazing! Thank you so much Sir.

your welcome good luck,

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance.