How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19185
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have had my entire goods "lost" (stolen) from the shipping

Customer Question

I have had my entire goods "lost" (stolen) from the shipping container carried by a freight forwarder from India to UK (Tilbury) even though the Customs seal was not broken until Love Freight opened it and then declared that 32 boxes of ours were missing and LF said that their CCTV was broken at the time??? Are there Solicitors who specialise in these kind of cases - because I need one? Mike
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Obviously the manufacturers who got them made and sent and the delivery company Day Guard over here you signed for everything even though did not know the items were missing - I guess that they were looking at the Customs documents which married up the weights from India to the UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We saw the CCTV from the Indian customs and watched the boxes being loaded. Also Day Guard has a loss adjuster on it and they are going against the CCTV - but also the company which produced and handled everything was Supply Compass and in the conditions they state that even if it is their fault - they do not except any blame???
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Jamie, but Supply Compass has pointed out that in their T&Cs it states 8.42 The Provider shall not be responsible to the customer in respect of any loss or damage that maybe caused by any third party services or any provider of third party services. Obviously if I had seen this - I would obviously not used them! So can I still take them to court?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

If they were negligent or you can argue the terms are unfair, then yes you can.I hope that helps

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I know it is, but in law do I stand a chance as the whole invoice to Supply Compass was just under £20,000
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Jamie - what do you think? Mike
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 days ago.

I think you have a decent claim. I hope that helps.