SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I am on a 3 months rent contract that started 31/12/2020. On

Customer Question

I am on a 3 months rent contract that started 31/12/2020. On 05/02/2021 the Agency gave me notice to move out in 55 days. I said to the Agency that now during the pandemic they must give 6 months notice this is the new Government Rules. I found another place but I want to move before my contract ends because the Landlord doesn’t wanna give us 6 months notice, and the Agency says I need to stay until the end of my contract. Is it ok to move before my contract ends and can I ask my deposit back?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve just sent emails to my Agency asking if they want us to be flexible and understand the Landlord doesn’t wanna give us 6 months notice, they should be flexible as well and allow us to move before our contract ends as we found a good place already that fits in our budget.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 15 days ago.

Good evening. Welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thanks

Hi, your contract is a fixed term tenancy agreement and therefore you can not leave befoore it ends. If you do they will look to claim the rest of the rent from you. With the coronavirus act 2020 yes they would need to give you 6 months notice to vacate however if you are interested im leaving you would not benefit from that long notice you would want to leave when the 3 months lapse. If you leave before unfortunately they will apply your deposit to any outstanding rent. Any follow up question do not hesitate to send your message. All the best.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thank you

You are welcome.