SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

We ship hemp/cannabis seeds from the UK (where they are

Customer Question

hi, we ship hemp/cannabis seeds from the UK (where they are legal) all over the world. some of those countries have looser laws than us but some stricter. is it my responsibility as the shipper to know all local laws to where i ship or is it the customers ?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Also, is it a crime to give incorrect product details and goods value on a customs form?
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 19 days ago.
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.It is the person who imports the goods namely the buyers responsibility to know the local laws and restrictions. That's the good news.The bad news is that mislabelling or undervaluing goods for customs purposes is fraud. Which can carry upto 5 years imprisonment and a hefty fine.Kind regards
S
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am currently in the process of making a voluntary disclosure to HMRC called CDF COP9 where i will admit to having received undeclared income. With this disclosure it gives to immunity from prosecution if they accept you and you cooperate fully. Do you think it would be wise to include the mislabelling and undervaluing in the disclosure as well?
I would recommend that you are forthcoming with such information as failing to could result in criminal offences.Kind regards
S