Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I recently bought a microwave chicken dumpling meal followed

Customer Question

I recently bought a microwave chicken dumpling meal followed complete instructions accurately. I blew up in my face burnt my let eye and head.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: UK Banbury Oxfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I reported to doctor and arranging for them to check me over. I have also taken pics and I am trying to find out the manufacturers details. I know it is Londis Discover the choice microwave meals
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Kasare replied 11 days ago.

Good morning, thank you for your question. I will assist you with this matter.

Expert:  Kasare replied 11 days ago.

Was there anything unusual about the product? Was it in date? Were the instructions clear?

What has the doctor said regarding your injuries?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Date clear. It said peirce several times which I did also did the correct setting & time. After I took out of microwave K waited a little while gently peeled the corner of film & it exploded in my face
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Doctor is calling me later this morning. I kept putting cold water on my face and keeping cold compress on for about s hour. I was advised to put vaseline on and sudo cream. Doctor will examine. I will also be getting left eye checked
Expert:  Kasare replied 11 days ago.

It can be difficult to bring a claim against a food manufacturer especially if this was a random unexplained incident. However, if you can establish that a product was defective and this caused you an injury then you should be entitled to compensation. Sometimes the fact that an injury has been sustained is enough to establish that a product was defective.

However, if you do not have the product or packaging any longer, or photographs of the packaging, it can make bringing a claim against the company more difficult as this is your evidence that it was this product that was defective and caused you an injury.

You could approach a lawyer to see if they would be willing to assist you with a claim for personal injuries against the manufacturer. They will obviously have more experience in these matters than you.

If you do not wish to do that, you could write a letter of claim to the manufacturer. In that letter you should also request details of any other similar incidents or complaints made about the product. This link will take you to the site that provides you an example of what is required in a letter of claim - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pre-action-protocol-for-personal-injury-claims#AnnexB

If you can establish liability, the level of compensation will depend on the severity of the injuries. Compensation in England and Wales is established by the Judicial College guidelines. These are examples of the scales of damages for minor to moderate burn injuries.

Minor burn injury£1,000 - £2,989Minor burns and scolds to the body that only affect a small area.Moderate burn injury£2,898 - £19,250Moderate burn can range from small area exposure to a medium area however burns may leave prominent scarring.

However, as I have said, the first stage is establishing that the product was defective - without evidence from the product packaging or knowledge of other complaints regarding this specific product that can be difficult to establish.

I hope this assists you. If you have any further questions please let me know.

Good luck with the doctor this morning.

Kas