F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I owned a Porsche macan financed by Santander and through

Customer Question

I owned a Porsche macan financed by Santander and through furlough etc fell seriously behind with payments
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: the car address was Kent we now are in dorset is this uk advice
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes eventually the car, unbeknown to me was reported as stolen and repossessed by the police they offered if I paid the balance by a date the car could be returned
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have paid the balance £52000 yesterday but have said to their lawyer they Santander are responsible for the condition of the car ie they haven’t damaged it . They would give me the location of the car to inspect prior to paying. Who is responsible for
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I will be happy to assist with your question today. I need some time to consider this and compose a response. There is NO need to wait online because you will get an email when I respond. Sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes longer.

I apologise for any unavoidable delay, but rest assured I have not forgotten your question.

im not clear what you are asking here -

where is car now?

and who has said what to their lawyer?

Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 days ago.

This is indeed UK advice. The site is administered in the United States but we are all lawyers around the UK. In my opinion, you have a complaint to make to the police.

They were out of order because the car wasn’t stolen and they had no reason to take it back. Any dispute in respect of the finances is a civil matter between you and the lender. I would make a complaint in writing to the Chief Constable and thereafter to the independent office for Police Conduct. The police should not be wasting valuable resource repossessing cars for lenders.

If you have paid the full value of the car then in my opinion they are indeed responsible for any damage to it.

Get the car back, get quotations for any damage and then take the lender and the police to the Small Claims Court for the cost.

I am glad to help.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand.

I would be more than happy to clarify anything else for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread does not close. In fact, it remains open indefinitely.

I am always happy to answer any further questions you have on any new thread in which case, please start your question with, “ For FES only”.

That only applies to new threads, not this one. You have me exclusively on this one.

Best wishes.

FES