Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have an issue with my credit card company - They provided

Customer Question

I have an issue with my credit card company - They provided me with false information which has now affected my credit score
JA: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: UK - September 2020
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Raised complaints with the provider - They did not action - Raised another complaint - They compensated me with £100 and closed the complaint without consulting / communicating with me beforehand
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine what a difficult position it must be. I will certainly try to clarify your options.

May I confirm what incorrect or false information was provided please?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Firstly they advised incorrect dates on my payment holiday resulting in my account falling into arrears - Secondly they advised that I had another payment holiday activated on my account when I did not
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.
  1. thank you. Am I right to assume these communications were made in writing and you still have a copy of them?
  2. have you raise the issues with the car provider and if so, what is their response?
  3. have you raise the above issues as a formal complaint or only informally to date?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
There was no written communication receiver - All verbal, however calls are all recorded.
Yes - raised internal complaint, they did not action it and closed it. Raised a further complaint, had no response and then found out at a later date that they compensated me with £100 credit and closed the complaint with no consultation or communication with me. Note that £100 is much less than the charges & penalties they have put on my account since providing me incorrect advice.
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.
  1. thank you. Finally, have you requested transcripts of the calls either as a simple request or as a subject access request under the data protection act?
  2. in relation to the complaints you raise, do you have the approximate dates you raise these complaints and did you make clear that they were complaints - i.e. "FORMAL COMPLAINT or THIS IS A COMPLAINT etc?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have not requested any transcripts
First complaint made in November 2020 - Second complaint made in Jan 2021. Yes, it was clear that these were formal complaints to be handled by Virgin Money's dedicated complaints team
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

thank you. It would be helpful if you request transcripts of the calls just so that you have documentary evidence of what you say transpired during those phone calls. It is not a requirement that you obtain this evidence but as above, it is simply helpful that you have certainty as to the facts state as part of your complaint.

Once you make a formal complaint, the bank has eight weeks to formally respond. If they fail to do so, they are in breach of the complaints process and after eight weeks, you can complete to the financial ombudsman for an independent determination. If both of your complaints run the same subject matter, then you can take the original November complaint as the initial date of your complaint for calculation of the eight-week period and as such, it is likely that you should now be able to refer the matter to the financial ombudsman without further delay should you wish them to carry out an independent review

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain

the undertenant have powers to make orders to the bank in terms of how to put the matter right and to award damages if they find you have been treated unfairly and this has caused you financial loss

Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

I hope the above answers all your questions. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me otherwise thank you very much for visiting JustAnswer and I hope we will see you again in the future.