JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Can I speak to an advisor? Possible scam, The bank have

Customer Question

Can I speak to an advisor?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Possible scam
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The bank have advised me to speak to you.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 14 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 14 days ago.

I can't take a call but online is fine.

Presumably you have lost money if you have already spoken to the bank. Did the bank say whether they could charge-back the money?.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
They told me to contact you first.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 14 days ago.

If you haven't done so already, the first thing to do is to report this to the Police and to Action Fraud so that you can obtain a crime reference number. The Action Fraud website where you can report the crime is here: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Once you have done that then see if your bank can do a charge-back on the monies - your bank may be subscribed to the consumer voluntary code to refund you if you have been scammed. The bank can charge-back up to 120 days from the date you sent money or paid money to a scammer, or from the date you first noticed the problem.

There are a few companies who can claim to retrieve monies taken by a scammer but in reality they are also scams - the first scammer sells your data to another scammer. Once a scammer has the money it would be very difficult to sue them (most of them being based abroad) and even if you obtained a CCJ against them, enforcing it is another matter.

You can try any of these regulated law firms to see if they can recover the money for you:

They should be able to help you with a no win no fee agreement so that you do not have to pay anything up front to them. These are regulated law firms in the UK.

Finally, you should ensure you change any online banking passwords and email account passwords. Do not give any bank details out over the telephone to anyone. If you are cold-called, then it is likely to be a scam.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 14 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 14 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim