How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 28249
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I would like to use my right to vary a county court verdict,

Customer Question

I would like to use my right to vary a county court verdict
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Willesden london nw10
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I just have the N244 at hand and need to understand the legalities of filling it in
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: it is regarding a small land plot behind our garden and I have been asked to pay their very high legal costs and I want to buy time
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 19 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

are you able to kindly confirm what you are seeking to vary please? Is this a judgment that was entered in default against you with you defending it or a judgment that was given following a hearing you attended?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It was a county court trial in which I was defending my self and lost
Expert:  Joshua replied 19 days ago.
  1. Thank you. Do you know the date the judgment was entered?
  2. Was it a small claims matter or fast or multi track hearing?
Expert:  Joshua replied 19 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms it is not possible to apply to vary an order was handed down following a defended claim. Rather you would have to appeal it. you can make an appeal if you can demonstrate that a judgement is wrong on the point of law or the judge major substantive procedural error in the hearing. You can't appeal on the basis simply that you disagree with the judgement.

any appeal must be made within 21 days or the appeal will be out of time. An appeal can be made by comppleting an appellant's notice either in the following form if the original claim was heard in the small claims court:

Or this form if it was heard on another track such as fast track or multitrack:

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me