How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4021
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I am a legal fathe rof my child but I am not married to t

Customer Question

I am a legal fathe rof my child but I am not married to t the mother and i want to give up my parental right. How can I do it
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: dont know what to do
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I presume from your statement that you are the 'legal father' is that you are named on the birth certificate, is that correct?

What reason do you have for wanting to give up parental responsibility?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My name is ***** ***** certificate. I broke up with my girl friend and I want to hand a full custody to her and she has agreed
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
can you give me some answer not by phone
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
hi do I get an answer to my question
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 13 days ago.

You cannot just dispense with your PR. You can choose not to exercise it, and can give the mother a formal letter detailing that you will not interfere with her PR or assert your own whilst she raises the child. I would suggest you do this via a solicitor so that your signature can be witnessed.

Alternatively, the mother can apply to court for a child arrangements order and to ask for your PR to be restricted. The mother has to do this.

The reality is that you can't really dispense with it in the way you want to - it will remain in place unless it is removed by a court - and a court won't remove it just because you are not with the mother anymore. I appreciate that this is not what you want to hear, but the law doesn't really permit parents to walk away in this manner - you will be always obliged to pay child maintenance unless the child is adopted, for example.