Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I want to understand the definition of vet negligence,

Customer Question

I want to understand the definition of vet negligence
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am in the process of information gathering.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Please provide some more details of your circumstances.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Dog, 8 years old presenting with limp, nibbling paws so went to a vet for advice. Vet undertook blood tests, 2 x xrays for leg and hip. Made a diagnosis of tendinopathy - had to chase for next steps after waiting a week and recommended an MRI scan. Undertook MRI scan, had to chase for results after another week. Results, possible slipped discs of L5,L6. Recommednded physio, hydro and put on anti inflammatory and strong sedative. Also advised there was a lesion. Physio/hyrdro and drugs did not work so vet advised problem could be the lesion, to have another x-ray, if nasty then possible amputation of leg. Xray undertaken, to rupture to cruciate ligament and needed an op. Arranged op, dropped off dog, 30 mins later op cancelled and told to pick up.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
At pick up, given the wrong dog back. Went to another vet for 2nd opinion. Ligaments, back and hips all fine. Problem auto-immune. Requested all x-rays, scan and blood tests. Blood tests low in two components. Have looked these up and relates them to immunity disease.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also new vet advised the strength of the medication too high for the weight of dog.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Thank you. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

A negligence claim is aimed at claiming compensation for injuries or losses sustained, in order to try and restore the wronged party to the position they would have been in had the negligence not happened. Often it means financial compensation for any losses or unnecessary costs incurred due to such negligence.

For a negligence claim to succeed, the wronged party has to show the following factors apply:

- that the other party owed them a duty of care;

- that such duty of care was breached, either deliberate or negligently;

- that the breach caused them to suffer losses;

- that such losses were reasonably foreseeable in the circumstances.

In essence, you are looking at what your vet did and comparing it to what a reasonably competent vet, with the same information as them, would have done in the circumstances. If what yours did fell below the reasonable standard expected, that is when negligence can occur. As I am not a vet, I cannot tell you whether what they did was wrong or not and you would need to take professional advice from other vets to see if they believe it was so bad that it was negligent. You can then consider whether to taker this further to the County Court to seek compensation.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you will refer to the new vet as to if this is whether a competent vet should have picked up the issue from initial blood tests. Very Useful.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best