Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am a post graduate student at Bristol University, I rented

Customer Question

Hi I am a post graduate student at Bristol University, I rented a private studio for 795 per month for a year with an AST, I left the flat on the 7 December to return to Greece for my holidays when the government offered students a travel window. IN January I received a letter from Bristol university advising us not to return to Bristol and continue, working from home in Greece. I have paid the rent in full but since I am away for over two months due to the instruction from the university I asked a for 200gbp discount on one months rent, ie pay 595 in Feb instead of 795. I will paythe full rent again in March, however the landlord is demanding the full rent and not offering a discount, can you please advise if I can be compensated considering the university advised against returning. Thank you.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: sent an email requesting to pay 200£ less for the Feb rent only, the email was ignored for weeks so I paid 595 last week and today received an email saying I have to pay the 200.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: bristol
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

However, I don't think you can claim more than £25,000 in damages for the distress caused.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am basically paying rent for a flat I cannot use becuase the university has told me to stay in Greece and not return to the UK. Am I entitled to a reduction in the rent?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hello are you there?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Yes I realise that. You are entitled to a refund and compensation for the distress caused by them asking for rent.

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thank you how can i get the reduction, what steps need to be taken?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

18/02/2021 09:43

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

My pleasure