How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marcinlondon Your Own Question
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 171
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Marcinlondon is online now

I asked my son to be a power of attorney for my father when

Customer Question

I asked my son to be a power of attorney for my father when it got to the point of my father not be able to make a decision about his financially affairs when his dementia become so bad that he could not do it himself, we had the forms filled out and I explained that I did not want it to come into force until necessary, but the person who filled it all in got my son to sign in a box which we have found out meant that he was poa from the date he signed it, dad lived at home for about three years before he was deemed to not have capacity anymore and my son took over, unfortunately my son had a breakdown and stupidly started using dads finances for his gambling addiction. it was later discovered what had happened and the social services decided to get the police to look into this matter, he was then questioned by the police and an investigation was started at the point he has not been charged with anything and a decision has not been made, as I wrote to the cps explaining everything about how this was sorted. he has now started repaying the money which is a large sum of money he has been offered a job with another care home and has told them about what is going on and that we did not know the consequences of signing that poa. he has been sent is dbs which shows what is going on and he has been upfront about everything. he has a letter from the police today saying that they are considering banning him from working with all people in care homes and are considering banning him from working in care again. is there any way I can get this decision revoked as we were not aware of what he had signed. dad, had his own bank card for his account and would go out everyday and go to the bank, to draw out money, we are unaware of what he did with his money but we thought it was just up to him to do what he wanted. who can I get to try and sort this out for me and allow him to keep working with people and he is very good at his job and I don't this this family matter should be dealt with anybody else apart from family
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: what type of papers
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: we live in Norwich, Norfolk and what would I have to take to the family court, dad is now deceased as we lost both my parents within 42 days of each other so I don't think there is any reason to go ahead as it only happened within a family setting
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I don't think so
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 17 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I am sorry to hear about it.

Can you please confirm if your son has been convicted in the magistrate's court?

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 17 days ago.

If he hasn't then it may be a good idea to instruct a solicitor now who can contact the Police and the CPS and mitigate on your son's behalf. You need to act quickly to ensure the Police do not introduce the ban. Please let me know if you wish me to do a quick research on local solicitors / free legal centers who may be able to assist.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
p;ease research local solicitors
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 17 days ago.

Where are you based please?

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 17 days ago.

Please see a link to the Free Legal Service in Norwich:

If you would like to pay privately there is a link with a number of local law firms:

I hope this helps. Many thanks for using our service and feel free to come back and ask any additional questions. I am here to help.