Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have a question. A few years ago i took a Tv from ,rent to

Customer Question

Good morning. I have a question. A few years ago i took a Tv from Hughes ,rent to buy (I'm paying monthly for it). But when i split up with my ex boyfriend we agreed that he will keep the tv and he will send me money for it every month. He kept paying on beginning but now he stopped. I tried to get in touch with him so many times but he ignoring me. After while he agreed that he will return Tv to me, but it didn't happen. I don't know what to do now. Can you please advise me what my options are? Thank you very much. Nikola
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cambridgeshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I went to Hughes and asked them what i could do, but they didn't help me there much. And I'm contacting exboyfriend quite often ,but no luck.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's all. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

What are you ideally hoping to achieve in the circumstances, please? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Good morning. Thank you for your message.
I'm hoping that i could get my items( Tv and Ps4) back from my exboyfriend. So I'm trying to find the way how i could do that.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. Whilst no one can force him to return the actual items to you, if he refuses to do so then you can consider pursuing him for compensation up to their current value.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can potentially do so by making a court claim. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for compensation. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome. There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The other side will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the other side that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial payment of the amount sought in the claim.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you very much for advise.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best