Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I am looking for employment lawyer who can advise me about

Customer Question

Hi, I am looking for employment lawyer who can advise me about notice period facing redundancy process.
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Yes, with my senior manager
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am employee for ISS company. I do not belong to a union.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I already was made redundant and I made the appeal for not selecting my notice period fairly
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Hi there,

Could you please confirm for how many years you have worked with the current employer?

The statutory redundancy notice periods are:

• at least one week’s notice if employed between one month and 2 years

• one week’s notice for each year if employed between 2 and 12 years

• 12 weeks’ notice if employed for 12 years or more

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can my employer discriminating against me by putting me much earlier to have my final consultation meeting and starting my notice period than anyone in the team because I spent the longest time (10 years and 9 months) in the company. Please keep in mind that all of us (6 employees, including me) with the same positions were informed the same time that the building is closing and all of us at risk of redundancy. I had my final consultation on 28th Jan 2021, in which my employer was confirming that my position is at risk of redundancy twice but he did not mention that I am redundant and my notice period starting from 28th of Jan 2021, also mentioned that I will receive my final outcome letter in a day or two. I received my final outcome letter on 9th of Feb 2021, in which was stated I am redundant, my notice period started from 28th of Jan 2021 and my termination of employment will finish on 8 of April. I spoke with my colleagues and they started their final consultation from 9th of Feb 2021. I WANT TO ADD THAT ALL OF US STILL WORKING UNTIL 19TH OF FEBRUARY 2021 AND BE PAID UNTIL 23RD OF MARCH 2021. For example, my colleague who worked for 2 years in the company, her last day of employment will be 23rd of march 2021. It looks for me that my employer trying to be smart by selecting my notice period unfairly for me like that can save the company money. Please advise me
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your reply, I will go through it and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Your employer need to tell you about your notice period when they tell you they’re making you redundant. Your notice period only starts when your employer says you'll be made redundant and gives your last date of employment. Your notice period will start from the notice is given - notice that you have been made redundant and what will be your last date of work.

if you worked for 10 years, then your statutory notice period should be of 10 weeks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** my employer put me on the notice period much earlier than anyone else in the team because I have the longest length of service eve we facing all employees the same time with the same terms?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My employer tries to fit all employees notice period until 23th march does not matter you work 2 years or 5 years
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Yes, there is no requirement to make everyone redundant and give notice at the same time.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Every one will have different redundancy notice period depending on the length of their service.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is not discrimination against me by putting me on notice period much earlier than anyone else in the team because I have the longest notice period?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
for example, my colleague received her final outcome on 14th feb 2021 that she was made redundant and she has 3 weeks of notice period because she spent 2 years in the company but her notice period will start from 2th of march 2021
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
is there could rules why my employer putting everyone so differently?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My last question would be about notice period-why my employer starting notice period so differently if all of us still working until 23 of march 2021?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Hi there,

As explained above, there is no requirement to give notice to all employees on the same date.

I have given you answer for your redundancy notice requirement , which is 10 weeks.

Notice requirement and redundancy and redundancy pay is different for all depending on the length of each employee service. There is no discrimination on the part of employer if all the employees are finishing on the same date.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes.