Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I do voluntary work answering phones for an NHS service

Customer Question

i do voluntary work answering phones for an NHS service which is operated by samaritans. A complaint has been made about me and I am lead to understand it is sexually explicit in nature. I have asked 3 times (twice in writing) for the details of the complaint against me - i need this information prior to attending a disciplinary problem solving interview. I need a solicitor to write a letter and find out exactly what it is i am supposed to have done. As I have not been told in any detail, i don't think it is fair for me to attend a meeting not knowing what i am accused of
JA: Have you discussed the disciplinary action with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: no. i have a copy of their procedure, but seems inherently biased from the outset
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: volunteer, so i assume i have little in the way of rights, but my reputation is important to me so i intend to fight the allegations for as long as i can
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: ordinarily, i work in the branch office answering phones, so this means i always have a colleague nearby who would vouch for my side of the story. However, since covid this means i am working alone from home and as calls are not recorded, it largely seems as though it is their word against mine
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i want a solicitor to write to them to clarify allegations, and the solicitor thinks the problem-solving procedures are unfair to tell them that too
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
this is my letter to them
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
this was their reply to my letter:
Dear *****I am responding to your email and letter of 17 February and will take your points in turn.When we spoke on Friday, 12 February I had received a report of an allegation made by the caller C. I explained that the subject of Fifty Shades of Grey had been mentioned and that she had said that part of the conversation was explicit and inappropriate. I said that I would try to obtain more information and contact you again, and that it was likely that we would follow this Addressing Difficulties process.I have since had the opportunity to speak with the caller who had not previously given her number. The caller alleges that you introduced the subject of Fifty Shades of Grey when talking about a car journey and that you made an explicit sexual comment which made her feel uncomfortable.It was the allegation that was made on Sunday 7 February, not the call. The records show that a call was made by this caller to your NHS phone on Saturday 6 February at 12.01 and this was the date that the caller has confirmed. This is the only call which is relevant to the Addressing Difficulties process and calls are not recorded.For clarity, the call with the person you refer to as the Scottish gentleman (who was calling about a face mask exemption certificate) is not something that we will be discussing when we meet.There were no documents which should have been attached with your Addressing Difficulties letter or to produce at our meeting.I trust that you now have the information you require to understand the nature of the allegation and I look forward to meeting with you to discuss matters further and enable you to participate fully in the process.I have identified a notetaker who could be available next Wednesday, 24 February between 2-6 pm or Friday, 26 February between 3-6 pm and it would be very helpful if, with your support volunteer, you are able to make one of those for about an hour. If not, please could you provide at least a couple of dates and times so that I can make other arrangements.With best wishes,
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Ok thanks but we are just a basic chat service, we cannot write to anyone on your behalf – for that you need to formally engage a solicitor, rather than use an unofficial chat service like ours. Apart from that, I can still answer specific questions you have about it?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
can you recommend a solicitor that could help please?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Initially I would search online for local employment solicitors to you and approach them directly. You can do that by going to the Law Society’s website:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

If you cannot find anyone local, you may wish to try searching for national lawyers who operate across the country, such as:

https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/

https://www.irwinmitchell.com/

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thank you, ***** ***** try online
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best