Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Required to review IP claim for Germany Law applying to UK

Customer Question

Required to review IP claim for Germany Law applying to UK site/business
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello, I recieved this letter of recent. I am a UK company/UK citizen but the claim for infringement of copyright is German. I spoke to a lawyer already and they have said:• UK law after Brexit applies – not German law
• Amount of damages is not representable
- don't have to pay legal fees
- looks a phishing exercise
- they cannot fine me as there is no contractI would like a second opinion to be crystal clear on this whether it should be ignored
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm fine waiting
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 8 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message, I appreciate this is important to you so I will endeavour to give you a quick but clear answer. Please note this is not a chat service so responses may not be instantaneous. Yes we do see this fairly often. They would need to make a claim in the U.K. under U.K. law anyway which they are unlikely to do so you could just write back deny the infringement and go from there. Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Jeremy. So it doesn't matter what they said. As ultimately all they spoke was German law and has to be UK?
precisely. Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That's clear to me - thank you very much Jeremy
Happy to help, take care