How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 72494
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Wayfair have overcharhed me and I am struggling to receive

Customer Question

Wayfair have overcharhed me and I am struggling to receive any reparation from them Paypal cannot help me as it is with the order
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sunderland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Spoken to Customer services 3 times on 0800 number and been told yes you have been overcharhed £44._4 nut have received 50 pence!
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They have advised me to send back goods on receipt but that will only get me the price of correct order€53
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hi there. What is your specific query in relation to this please, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am trying to get credit from Wayfair for overcharge of £44.64
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

OK thanks. When did you make the purchase please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I recei ed 50p into my Bank today
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Last week
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

Whilst the priority would be to try and resolve tis with the retailer directly, using any formal complaints procedure which they may have, in the end you may have to take matters into your own hands. That would mean pursuing a potential claim for compensation for the amount owed.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can potentially do so by making a court claim. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for compensation. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The other side will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the other side that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial payment of the amount sought in the claim.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have contacted Wayfair again and advised them I had taken advi e from you I have received an email that full smoubnt will ne in My bank on Monday
Many thanks Top marks to your Solicitor Doreen Wales
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Many thanks to Nen Jones
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

My pleasure