SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I would like to know about licensing laws in County Durham,

I would like to know about licensing laws in County Durham, specifically Off License Licenses
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I have not. England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Personal researc
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are planning to sell cocktails and 'piggy back' off an existing license then down the line get our own license for our trailer that i converted into a cocktail bar

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi,Yes please, if you can find someone that would be great.Thanks,
Matthew

Hi, welcome to just answer and thank you for your patience. I am a solicitor and happy to review your question. If you are selling alcoholic cocktails you must have a licence. I am not sure what you mean by piggy backing. If you own the off-licence and already have a licence for selling alcohol and these cocktails are being sold through the off licence then you would not need to apply separately, however If this is a different business from a different premises you must apply for a separate licence. Any clarification please do not hesitate to send your follow up question, I am happy to review further for you. All the best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
What I mean by piggy back is to establish an oppositional agreement with a premises who have a license to sell alcohol. We sell under their license, paying them a percentage of our revenue.If our stock was kept and the drinks made on the licensed premises we would be clear to operate under their existing license?I am aware for our own license we would have to have a premises. We do not have the money for this right now, hence why we would like to explore our options regarding working with an existing licensee.Is this something you have come across before?
Do you have any advice for what agreements we would need if we are able to work along side an off license or a bar.Thanks
Matthew

Hi, thank you for your response. With the premises licence and the exceptional off-sales premises now available up to Sept 2021 due to the COVID-19, you will not have much problem working under the off-licence licence however piggy backing on a personal licence to sell the alcohol is not so easy and neither is it lawful. You could consider having a distributor agreement with the off-licence or partnership or franchise .. you really can have any contractual agreement where you will pay a commission that should not amount to a profit share agreement or a fee for the licence. I would strongly recommend that you engage a commercial contracts solicitor, they can draft an agreement that avoids these pitfalls for you.

SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK