John
John, Solicitor
Experience:  10 years legal experience
106125879

I have been served with a County Court Claim - I agree the

Customer Question

I have been served with a County Court Claim - I agree the amount in full and do not want to risk a CCJ, do I only get a maximum of 14 days, from the date of service to pay the amount in full?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have been served with a County Court Claim - I agree the amount in full and do not want to risk a CCJ, do I only get a maximum of 14 days, from the date of service to pay the amount in full?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have completed the Acknowledgement of Service, which the Claimant (solicitors) has received and is now expecting payment
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks that's it
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for your message, I appreciate it is important to you. You have to acknowledgement the claim within 14 days and then a further 14 days to file the defence (28 days in total) - this is for the court's purposes so it is important to adhere to these deadlines. In respect of settlement, you can agree to settle the claim at any time with the other side. I would suggest you contact the other side to inform them you wish to settle and sort out payment with them. Once settlement has been reached, they will inform the court that they no longer wish to pursue the claim. Until settlement has been agreed with both parties, and confirmation received and officially relayed to the Court that it has been settled, you will still need to listen to any court deadlines and return any forms - it is important you do this.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you John - much appreciated, but just to clarify: I have already send the Acknowledgement of Service to the solicitors and they have confirmed receipt and indeed asked when they can expect the payment,as I have admitted the claim in full and not asked for time to pay, as I do not want to risk a CCJ. The Claim was Served on 10th February, does that mean that I have to make the payment in full by 24th February, as do not want to risk receiving a CCJ? For example, can I arrange for payment (by bank transfer) for say 29th February?
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Hello, the acknowledgement of service is for the court. Settlement can be reached between the parties at any point in time, up until the time of a hearing. There is no timescale in order to reach a settlement. The 14 day timescale is not to do with settlement but more to do with the court timetable. A CCJ will not be granted, unless you have a default judgement against you (by ignoring court documents), or if you lose at the hearing and the court makes an order against you which you fail to pay within 28 days. I hope this is clear?

If you have advised them that you will make payment, then just let them know the terms of the payment i.e. if you want to pay on 29 February by bank transfer. Until payment has been made, and confirmed to the court by the other side - you still need to complete any forms required by the court.

Does this clarify? Please let me know, I am happy to help.

Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.